Resources - MSTI
Join our select group of Hummingbird Circle members who have stepped up their giving to support the vital work of the Sonoran Institute.
Mountain States Transmission Intertie
In September 2010 - Madison County, MT asked for assistance in collecting independent information and evaluating the impact of the MSTI line on their community.
The MSTI Project Review Group was formed, and is now taking this initial body of work and completing it for the entire extent of the MSTI line in Montana and Idaho. (see "Partners" for all MSTI Project Review Group Organizations)
The Mountain States Transmission Intertie is a proposed 500 kilovolt, 1,500 megawatt AC electric transmission line, spanning approximately 430 miles. It would deliver electricity generated in Montana to customers in other Western states. Northwestern Energy are proposing the line.
Currently the MSTI is on hold pending Montana State Supreme Court review of the final draft environmental impact statement. The exact route for the transmission line has not yet been selected, although a number of alternatives have been identified.
- Better understand the need and context of the line,
- Balance energy development with local values by identifying corridors while protecting the community and environment, and
- Assess the economic impacts and benefits of the line.
What We're Doing:
- Providing peer-reviewed, accessible information about energy resources, the viability and need for the line, what the line will carry, and who will pay for it,
- Developing an objective, quantitative, and transparent spatial analysis of the MSTI line to empower local governments to make informed decisions on the proposed routing alternatives as it pertains to their unique economic, rural, and environmental values and concerns, and
- Conducting an accurate economic analysis for counties that analyze the potential amount of revenue generated by the line for each county as well as the potential impact that the line may have on property value.
Transport is Key Part of Energy Equation (January 26, 2012) - When it comes to developing Montana’s economy in the energy sector, harnessing the energy is only part of the equation. There’s also the matter of moving that energy — whether it’s hydrocarbons or electrons — to market, and that’s an issue that via both geography and politics affects just about all of us in one way or another. Click here to read the full article.