- annual report
- Building Trust
- Bureau of Land Management
- Climate Change
- Colorado River Delta
- Hunting Fishing
- Land Conservation
- Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
- National Park Service
- project summary
- renewable energy
- Resource Extraction
- Smart Growth
- State Trust Lands
- Street Smart
- Thomas R. Brown Foundations
- Vegetation Management
- Water Conservation
Juan de Fuca Cable Project
The Juan de Fuca Cable is a proposed underground and undersea 150kV, 550MW High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) Light® cable designed to run bi-directionally from View Royal, British Columbia to Port Angeles, Washington. The proposed total length of the cable is 30 miles. Of this, about 22 miles is in the strait of Juan de Fuca, buried 3 to 6 feet deep beneath the sea floor. Seven miles of the line runs underground on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, and one mile is underground near Port Angeles, Washington.
- The result of burying the cable is no visual impact, audible noise, or changes to usage of the overlaying land.
- Terrestrial portions of the line will be buried under existing roads, railroad rights-of-way, or utility corridors, to minimize the impacts on surrounding areas.
- Horizontal directional drilling will help to minimize the impact to sensitive nearshore habitat. An onshore drill will bore underneath the shore area and intertidal zone, exiting more than half a mile from the drilling site.
- The cable will be built with highly efficient HVDC Light® technology, which allows more power to be transmitted across fewer lines, does not emit fluctuating EMFs, and provides faster and more accurate control of the power.
The project received all major permits in the United States and Canada by 2009 and currently several permits are undergoing renewal. The cable would be operational 24-26 months from financial close, possibly mid-2015.
- Juan de Fuca Cable Project
- Juan de Fuca Cable Project Map
- Bonneville Power Administration project website
- Juan de Fuca Cable Draft EIS
- Juan de Fuca Cable Final EIS
Organization: Sea Breeze Pacific Juan de Fuca Cable, LP, a partnership between Sea Breeze Power Corp and Boundless Energy NW Inc.
Location: Washington, British Colombia
Planning phase: Pre-planning (undergrounding, HVDC Light®, mitigation)
Last Updated:November 16, 2012